Master of Public Administration
Every day, communities around the country experience violence, crime, floods, blackouts, severe weather and other emergencies that threaten public safety—and the number, scale and scope of these types of events is on the rise. The incidence of natural disasters and armed conflict worldwide has steadily increased since the 1970s, according to a report from the New England Journal of Medicine. Emergency management directors are needed to help offset the number of people harmed in natural and man-made disasters.
Emergency management experts plan and direct disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures. They often coordinate with fire and law enforcement officials, elected officials, nonprofit organizations, government agencies and the public, which is why public administration careers require exceptional leadership and critical thinking skills. Fortunately, Anna Maria College can provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to keep communities safe in threatening disasters.
Students enrolled in Anna Maria College’s Master of Public Administration program can choose the Emergency Management specialization in order to gain the knowledge required of successful crisis administration professionals. Integrating the most current emergency management techniques with foundational leadership and management training, the Emergency Management specialization curriculum of Anna Maria’s online MPA will prepare you for high-level positions within agencies and departments responsible for protecting the public before, during, and after a disaster.
A Valuable Degree for a Growing Field
The majority of emergency management directors work within state and local governments; others in the field work within private entities, hospitals, and nonprofit organizations. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the number of high-level emergency management positions is expected to grow by 6% through 2024.* Emergency management administration careers are in demand across a number of industries and settings, including:
- Local, state and federal government
- General medical and surgical hospitals
- Community food and housing services
- Emergency and other relief services
- Electric power generation, transmission and distribution
A summary report by the American Job Center Network shows that approximately 15 percent of emergency management directors in the U.S. hold a master’s degree or higher.** Anna Maria College’s specialized online MPA in Emergency Management will give you an advantage in the growing and competitive field of emergency planning and disaster administration.
Learn more about the Emergency Management careers. >>
Specialized Emergency Management Administration Curriculum
Significant disasters require pre/post planning, coordination and quick implementation. Anna Maria College’s Emergency Management MPA degree gives you the most current tools and techniques to provide leadership and direction during and after a wide variety of crises, including hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, terrorist attacks, hazardous chemical spills and healthcare epidemics. Here’s a sampling of the concentration courses that will prepare you for crisis management leadership.
- Emergency Management Operations Framework – This course introduces students to emergency management systems and operations frameworks that are critical for successfully planning, implementing, and overseeing crisis management activities, such as the National Incident Management System.
- Special Topics in Emergency Management – Students will explore current social, political, and legal issues in emergency management, as well as emerging topics to anticipate and plan for the future of emergency management at home and abroad.
- Emergency Management Administration Capstone Project – Students who plan to enter the workforce or pursue career advancement after graduation will be able to demonstrate a mastery of essential crisis management skills thanks to capstone project that gives students the opportunity to apply their knowledge to real-world emergency response scenarios.
Learn more about the Emergency Management curriculum. >>
Learn from Experts in the Field
Our Emergency Management professors help you gain the most pertinent facts utilized in the field today. You’ll learn new skills and network with the industry’s niche experts whose insights can help propel your emergency management career. Anna Maria’s highly experienced faculty is what sets our specialized MPA program apart from other online emergency management degree programs.
Help Others in Need
If you’re interested in a rewarding career that involves protecting citizens and property from disasters, or if you already work in the field and are looking to advance your career, click here to learn more about the Emergency Management specialization of Anna Maria College’s online Master of Public Administration or call 877-265-3201.