Master of Public Administration
Steady Growth in a Variety of Industries
Anna Maria College’s Master of Public Administration gives public sector employees the knowledge and skills to better manage finances and organizational issues in a wide range of industries and settings, including government, nonprofit, law enforcement, and healthcare. Graduates of the online MPA program will have the opportunity to advance to middle- and upper-level management positions thanks to a robust curriculum that prepares students to lead in the public sector.
Learn more about the Career Outlook for your chosen specialization:
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects the public administration field to experience considerable growth through 2022, especially in the areas of state and local government where more than half of all public administration jobs are found.* In response to increasing consumer demand for public services, new public administration jobs in state and local governments will be created.** MPA graduates will have the requisite skills and knowledge to fill the growing demand for public administration professionals.
Public administration jobs can be found in the following industries:
- Local, state and federal government agencies - Department of Sanitation, Bureau of Land Management, State and City Departments, National Park Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, etc.
- Independent agencies – Department of Energy, Social Security Administration, Federal Election Commission, etc.
- Nonprofit organizations – AARP, YMCA, chambers of commerce, universities
- Private Business – Consulting businesses, human resources, law and insurance organizations
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Public Administration?
With an online Master of Public Administration, you’ll gain advanced knowledge and skills to elevate into a variety of high-level management and administration roles within a public sector organization. Completing the program will also give you great professional flexibility since MPA degree holders are qualified for a large number of different career titles within the field of public administration. Careers with a master’s degree in public administration include:
- Chief Development Officer
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Chief Law Enforcement Official
- Chief Financial Officer
- Fire Chief
- Battalion Chief
- Healthcare Administrator
- Human Resources Manager/Director
- Emergency Services Director
- Emergency Management Specialist
- Public Works Director
- Political Campaign Specialist
- City Manager/County Manager
- Community Affairs Representative
- Economist, analyst or manager at international, federal, state or local government levels
- Environmental, economic or social consultant
- Urban planner
- Manager or advocate for a non-profit organization
Where Do Public Administrators Work?
Jobs in public administration are found in a variety of industries, including local and state governments, the federal government, educational institutions, the private sector, nonprofit organizations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Government administration jobs are typically the most highly sought after by MPA graduates thanks to competitive starting salaries, comprehensive federal government employee benefits and the large number of agencies that employ public administrators. The governmental agencies offering jobs for MPA graduates include:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- US Postal Service (USPS)
Public Administration Job Outlook
Public administrators hold a wide variety of job titles across a number of different sectors and industries, and the MPA degree can open up the doors to some of the highest paying government and public administration jobs. In 2014, administrative services managers earned a median annual salary of $83,790. Projected job growth for high-level administrators is expected to be between 8% and 14% through 2022. ***
Prepare for Success
Whether you are in already in your dream career and expanding your value or searching for that position, it is within your reach. Click here to learn more about the online MPA from Anna Maria College or call 877-265-3201 to speak with an admissions adviser.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Career Guide to Industries, 2014-15 Edition, accessed 3/27/2014